Friday, January 16, 2015

Thesis


I've always been strongly opinionated about the fact that the sciences and arts are split. You are only ever allowed to study one or the other. To me, it seems as though our specialized society has become so specialized that we are expected to only ever stay in one field of expertise. In high school, balancing all of the regular classes and taking the classes that would either lead to a future career or become a hobby was always very difficult. I love robotics and I am also interested in music and arts. I had to bend head-over-heels just trying to schedule classes because I wanted to take both band and robotics along with required classes. Now in college there is more freedom, but not quite. Specialization is a great thing because you can do what your best at and focus on that, but the more advanced classes, like a music theory class, are only available to those who are majoring in that field and no one else. Everyone should have a hobby, an interest that they spend time on other than what they do for work. As a computer engineering major, I love to relax by playing the piano. I love learning more about music and find music theory to be as interesting as all of the little details that make up a computer. Because society wants specialized workers we are limited by expectation to choosing one area of knowledge. But is it not the well-rounded worker who is proficient at many skills more desirable?

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting topic Michael! I would completely agree, and can sympathize as an International Relations major who wants to take some beginner photography classes and really put my hobby to use -- but these classes aren't available because its not my major! Pretty sucky situation... can't wait to see how your paper turns out!
    (also, some of your points that have to do with specialization reminded me of a discussion we had in our economics class... specialization can be very useful, but it is always in the producer's benefit to have eggs in many baskets!)

    ReplyDelete